Acer Chromebook R11 is a hybrid laptop that works on Google Chrome OS. I have been using this chromebook for a while and like it very much. Lately, I observed an issue with my chromebook where my battery is not charging beyond a percentage- 94. I thought this could be some temporary issue and would be fixed in soon. However when days passed, the percentage started to drop and last night it reached to 80, beyond which my chromebook is not charging. I have read in many forums and Google groups and realized this is a known bug with this model and they are working on it. However since I found the battery is not charging beyond 80%, I got desperate to fix this issue somehow.
Based on some forums, I tried to check battery_status from chrome shell – Chrosh. I found out that there is no issue with the battery and the discharge ratio is not something to worry about. The charging percentage is obviously some error and it has nothing to do with battery health. And, finally I have a found a google bug where one of the members was claiming the issue is fixed when he tried the following method. Since I was desperate enough to tell the world that I am facing the issue hoping Google would fix it ASAP seeing the number of affected users go up, I saw the recommended suggestion only after I posted my feedback. So I tried the recommendation and now, it is fixed and my Chromebook is charging cent percentage.
- Reboot the Chromebook into recovery mode. Place Escape key, refresh key together and then hold the power key.
- Once Chromebook power indicator is on, release the power key and wait for a two second before releasing other two keys.
- Chromebook will boot up into recovery mode. If any USB or memory card is present, a message would show that OS is missing otherwise a different screen would show with a OS missing or Damaged message. Whatever it is, no need to bother about it!
- Keep your Chromebook connected to the power supply and let is charge until its full. Once it is charged full, the power indicator would lit blue, otherwise it would be amber.
- Nevertheless, charge it for a couple of hours if the blue light is not shown.
- After blue light is on, click on the power button and the Chromebook would shut down. Press again and it would boot up.
Now, if you look at the battery charging icon, it would say battery full! Hope that helps!