Idea Blade is a customized version of popular android device ZTE Blade. This phone is being sold in many countries under various names. In India, Dell and Idea are selling this handsets under the name Dell XCD35 and Idea Blade respectively. Though these are primarily from ZTE, it differs in hardware. Dell XCD35 is the original ZTE device shipped from Europe with 512MB intenal memory whereas Idea Blade is a Chines make with only 256 MB internal memory. However this device shows a wonderful performance while comparing with its competetors.
As you know Android is an open sourse software platform, anyone can make changes in it. However Android phones do not handover the root licence to the customers. Rooting is the privilege to access the system files. Since these files are vulnerable to attacks, typically rooting is not allowed by default by Android phone vendors. There are various softwares avaiable in Android Market, now known as Google Play, for gaining root access in android devices for free of cost and as paid versions. However rooting voids the manufacture warrenty!
There are many customized ROMs are available and it can be replaced by the stock ROM. Being a demanded android device, ZTE Blade is in the supported device list of the most popular ROM, Cyanogenmod.Though Idea Blade is upgradable to Android 2.3, no official packages are available yet. However still you can try two customized ROMs, Swedish Snow RLS6 and Moldovan-Mile-High-Mountain-Pie-RLS9. The first mentioned one is latest one and is recommended coz the other have an issue with camera.Cyanogenmod 7.1 is tested Idea Blade and it is found working well. After a clean installation without any add on packages such as google apps, there will be a free memory if 130 MB. Swedish Snow is pretty good and once it is installed there will be a free memory of minimum 115MB.
Here is the step by step guide to upgrade Idea Blade from Froyo (2.2) to Gingerbread(2.3). Again, this is an unofficial release and rooting process will void your manufacture gurantee. Also, try these at your own risk!
1. First of all, download the package file from here and copy it to the SD Card. Then the device must be rooted. Download Z4root and install it in the phone. Copy the installation file into the SD card and open it using filer or any file explorers. Make sure to enable Unknown sources in Settings > Applications in order to install the package. Also enable USB debugging in deveopement page. (Note: This whole process will wipe the entire data in the phone. You should take back up of your contacts and whatever data you need).
2. Once it is installed you need to root the device by selecting permanent root. You may be asked to give super user privilege and allow it. Once rooting is completed, system will reboot automatically.
3. Download another software ROM Manager from Android market and install it. This program also should have super user privilege.
4. It is highly recommended to take a backup of your current ROM so that at any point, you can restore your stock ROM(Original ROM). You should have sufficient memory in SD card to take a back up (aroudn 300-500MB). Meanwhile you may be asked to install and addtional package clockworkmod recovery. Click on yes and it will be automatically installed. No worries!
5. Once back up is complete, click on the reboot into recovery button in ROM manager. Phone will reboot into recovery mode. (You can manually do it by shutting down the phone, restart it and press power button and volume key while booting. )
6. Now the real play begins. You need to click on wipe data/factory reset option. You can use volume keys to navigate and Home key to select. Click on this option and you will reach confirmation page. Select Yes and it will wipe all user data in some moments. (Remember, with this process whatever there in the phone will be lost.)
7. Now return to the main screen and you need to wipe cache and dalvik cache as well. Once these two are done with come to the main screen.
8. Now choose install from Zip in SD card. This will open the SD card file and you need to select the zip file and then click on home button. Installation will finish in some minutes. Stay cool!
9. Once installation complete message is shown, click on reboot now. First boot will take time upto 10 – 15 minutes. Once everything is set, you will see the home screen.
10. Additional packages and advanced knowledge can be obtained from the developer page.
Installation Procedure for Cyanogenmod
- First of all you need to install Z4root and root your Idea Blade. Run a permanent root and restart your device. Now install ROM Manager from market. Though ROM Manager has a rooting option, it is not capable of rooting Idea Blade and Z4root is recommended.
- In ROM Manager, take a back up of your current ROM. You will be asked for installing clockworkmod recovery, press OK to continue. Once clockworkmod recovery is installed, try back up. Phone will be rebooted once back up process is completed.
- Open the ROM Manager again and click on Download ROM and under Free category you can see various free to use custom ROMs. Click on Cyanogenmod and it will show a list of ava ilable updates. Install the latest stable version(unless you want to view the latest features in a developer preview). You will be asked for opting additional packages. Google Apps is recommended.
- Once download is done with, it will show Pre-ROM installation options. Choose to empty cache and dalvik cache.
- System will boot into recovery and start installing the Cyanogenmod into your Idea device.
- Once installation is finished wait for first Cyanogenmod loading. It will take some minutes and your Idea is ready with Cyanogenmod
In Cynogenmod, camera will not work. You need to run a patch to fix this. Search the cyanogenmod forums for the patches.