I have been reviewing many forums and blogs to see how to root Samsung S Duos. Though I could root my phone easily I was unable to boot to Clock Work Mod recovery. However I could figure it out and the whole process is explained below.
There are two methods for installing CWM : Temporary and Permanent.The one I am explaining below is temporary. If you are trying to install a custom ROM, this will suffice. You do not have to look for any other methods. Apart from this rooting mentioned below, what you would need is a Custom ROM file! I will be explaining how to install a custom ROM in other post. This explains the initial step, rooting of Samsung S Duos.
Please keep in mind that you need to read each and every line patiently. Read everything twice then start with a calm mind. I promise, you no longer need to search for another forum if you follow everything correctly.
Requirements (You can download it clicking on the links, no need to google it again. Worth reading, huh!)
- Rooting Kit contains following files : Odin Tool, Recovery.tar, Stock Recovery.tar, CWM Super User. Download and extract the files to your system. You need to extract Odin ZIP file again to view the executable file.
- Download and install Samsung driver in your system. Reboot the system if it asks for the same. Otherwise no need to reboot it.
- Now, system is ready with rooting per-requisites. Next step is to reboot your Samsung S Duos (GT- S7562) Phone into recovery mode. Read this carefully. Make sure your phone is charged above 80%. Now switch it off and remove the battery back case. Now hold down the Home Key, then Volume Down Key and finally press Power Button. Now system will reboot into recovery mode. As soon as the warning screen appears, release the keys. You can see instructions like press Volume Up to continue and Volume Down to cancel. Yes, you should press the Volume Up key to enter into Downloading mode.
- Now connect your USB cable to your phone and to your system. Then open Odin.exe file.
- Once Phone is connected, you can see a Value and ID: COM field. This shows your phone is identifiied
- Now you have to ensure Auto Reboot and F.Reset Time and PDA fields are ticked.
- Next click on the PDA button and select the Recovery.tar file from the downloaded location.
- Take a deep breath, see everything is correct as mentioned in step 6 and 7 and click on start.
- Wait until the top left column shows PASS. Make sure cable is not removed in between. Now read the next step two or more times until you understand it.
- As soon the PASS is shown, system will reboot. Now remove the connected USB cable and the battery. No wonder, do it before the phone starts beyond the initial Samsung Logo with model number. You have enough time, so do not be panic but do it with care. important thing you need to remember is, your phone should not be restarted fully. Because, what you have done, installing Clock Work Mod recovery. But this is temporary, as soon as your phone is restarted, system will restore stock recovery image replacing CWM. So if you restart your phone into normal mode, there will not be any effect of what you have just did. So ensure phone is not restarted fully.
- Now we need to restart the phone into CWM recovery. This can be done by down Volume Up Key, Volume Down Key, Home Key and then press Power Button. Once the system is started and Samsung logo is shown, release the keys and you will reach CWM recovery menu. This step is bit difficult, if you fail to boot to CWM recovery, you should remove the battery before it fully started. Otherwise, as mentioned before, system will remove CWM mode and you have to repeat steps 3 to 10.
- Once you reach CWM mode, first thing you need to do is to take a full backup of your phone by selecting Restore/Back Up menu. Remember, recovery menu do not support touch interface. You have to use volume up and down keys to navigate and home key to select.
So this is how you can install Clock Work Mod temporarily for installing Custom Roms. Each time you flash recovery with Odin, it increases the flash counter. Also, if your phone is rooted, you will see a yellow triangle while booting. Though CWM is replace while rebooting, phone will be in rooted state.